Apply to Serve on Shelton Staff
The Shelton Challenge has a three-person staffing model: Peer Leader, Coach, Mentor, Trainer (CMT), and Facilitator/Instructor.
- The Peer Leader position is available to youth who have previously attended the Shelton Challenge and have at least a 3.0 grade point average.
- The CMT position is available to youth who have previously served as a Peer Leader for at least two years or students who have at least completed his or her first year in college.
- The Facilitator/Instructor position is available to adults who have a passion to work with youth and college students instructing with a collaborative experiential pedagogy model.
The 2015 Shelton Challenge Staff applications are now available. Applications have been sent to the 2014 Staff and all youth who attended the 2014 Shelton Challenge. You can complete the appropriate application online below, please email Anna Patton, firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed PDF applications can be emailed to email@example.com or printed and mailed to the office. The deadline to submit applications for Peer Leader is December 14, 2014. The deadline to submit applications for CMT and Instructor is January 16, 2015.
- Peer Leader (PL) Application/Reference Form
- Coach, Mentor, Trainer (CMT) Application
- Facilitator/Instructor Application
- Access to Peer Leader Reference Submission (for references)
- Application deadline for positions for Peer Leader is December 19, 2014. The deadline to submit applications for CMT and Instructor is January 16, 2015. When you submit your application online, you should receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 919-513-0148. We will do our best to send a confirmation email to individuals who send applications through the email or the postal service.
- The next step in the application process is to have individuals applying to serve as a Peer Leader or CMT to participate in an on-site exercise (very similar to the leadership reaction exercises we have during the week experience). We will identify one Peer Leader applicant to serve as the leader for the team they are assigned and two CMT applicants to observe and process the team activity. Instructors will serve as evaluators during the activities for selection process.
- Selection Dates are Saturday, January 31st in Raleigh or February 7th in Concord. Time for both dates will be 1-4 pm. More information to follow. An electronic session will be scheduled for those unable to attend either.
- If you are not able to participate in the staff selection exercise on one of the two days listed, you are still eligible through the absentee case study. However, it is very helpful for us to be able to observe how you have continued to develop your leadership skills since the summer.
- Individuals applying to serve as a facilitator/instructor will be individually contacted on an on-going basis upon receipt of application.
- All applicants will be notified of their status for the position by the end of February.
- Those who are offered a staff position for 2015 will need to notify us of acceptance for the position by the beginning of March.
- Staff Training: All staff should plan to attend training on Saturday, March 28, 2015 from 10am-4pm in Raleigh.There will also be another day of training the Saturday before your camp starts.