Mission, Vision, History
To inspire, educate, and develop values-based leaders committed to personal integrity, professional ethics, and selfless service.
The Shelton Leadership Center’s vision is to positively impact values-based leadership behavior throughout the University, within the corporate and business community, and eventually across the nation and world. Exposing individuals to the value of disciplined, purposeful action in the multiple “playing fields” of life, and providing tools to accomplish this, is a key component of the Center’s programs, as are collaboration, cooperation, communication, and partnership.
The Center is committed to:
- Elevating the importance of lifelong leadership development, branding NC State University as the champion of leadership, ethics, and civic engagement
- Providing a platform for increasing leadership competencies through research-based, intentional leadership development
- Honoring role model leaders and providing inspiration for contemporary emerging leaders
- Collaborating and providing synergy for fund development activities and adding value to leadership experiences
- Generating endowment and program support, sustaining successful leadership programs, and encouraging innovation across NC State University.
The Shelton Leadership Center was founded in 2002 following the retirement of General Shelton as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. General Shelton continues to “give back” to his alma mater, NC State University, and to help develop the next generation of values-based leaders. The Shelton Leadership Center outreach programs focus on intergenerational values-based leadership development within NC State University and corporate, governmental, educational, non-profit, and youth development organizations. His values-based leadership cornerstones are honesty, integrity, diversity, compassion, and social responsibility.