This is one of the USA’s most prestigious scholarships for student leaders. It is awarded to an entering freshman, valued at $10,000 per year, renewable upon satisfactory academic progress and leadership involvement. The application opens mid-July every year. Deadline for high school seniors to submit the online application to the General H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center is no later than 5:00 p.m. October 15 of each year. The General Hugh Shelton Leadership Endowment provides:
- $10,000 annual NC State tuition and fees, housing, etc.
- Annual enrichment funds of $1800 for student leadership enrichment experiences.
Phase 1 – Initial Application
Opens: Mid-July of Every Year
Deadline: October 15
Students wishing to apply for the National Student Leadership Scholarship will need to submit a complete application by the deadline. The application must be submitted online. No handwritten applications will be accepted.
A complete application will include the following items:
- The application cover page with signed commitment statement
- List and description of academic, work, community service, and extracurricular activities
- Responses to short answer questions and essays
Once you submit the application, you will receive an email confirmation containing a copy of the data you submit. Keep that information for your records.
Phase 2 – Application Materials After Initial Screening
By midnight on December 31st of each year, the General Hugh Shelton Scholarship Selection Committee will notify all applicants of status by email.
All applicants who advance to the second phase of the process will need to complete and return requested information by January 22nd of each year.
- Apply and have been accepted (or deferred) to NC State University.
- Request a COPY of your transcript from a guidance counselor, scholarship coordinator, or registrar. At this stage it is NOT necessary to send an official transcript. The transcript should be mailed to:
Shelton Leadership Center
NC State University;
Campus Box 7133
Raleigh, NC 27695-7133
The General Hugh Shelton National Student Leadership Scholarship Selection Committee will notify finalists by February 1st, to participate in a personal interview in mid-February.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Application will be available in July