Apply to Serve on Shelton Staff
The Shelton Challenge has a three-person staffing model: Peer Leader, Coach, Mentor, Trainer (CMT), and Instructor.
- The Peer Leader position is available to youth who have previously attended the Shelton Challenge and have at least a 3.0 grade point average.
- The CMT position is available to youth who have previously served as a Peer Leader for at least two years, or students who have at least completed their first year in college.
- The Instructor position is available to adults who have a passion for working with youth and college students, and for instructing with a collaborative experiential pedagogy model.
The 2017 Shelton Challenge Staff applications are now available. You can complete the appropriate application online from the link below. If you have questions concerning the application, please email Tykori Saunders, email@example.com. If you have questions concerning the selection process related to selection day, staff training, etc., please contact Debbie Acker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Peer Leader (PL) Application
- Peer Leader Reference Form
- Coach, Mentor, Trainer (CMT) Application
- Instructor Application
- Application deadline for people applying to serve on staff for the FIRST TIME as a Peer Leader or CMT is Friday, January 5, 2018. For RETURNING staff applicants, applications are due by Friday, February 16, 2018. Instructor applications will be open until all positions are filled. When you submit your application online, you should receive a confirmation email within 2 weeks. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact us at email@example.com or at 919-513-0148.
- The next step in the application process is to have individuals applying to serve as a Peer Leader or CMT to participate in an on-site exercise (very similar to the leadership reaction exercises we have during the week experience). We will identify one Peer Leader applicant to serve as the leader for the team they are assigned and two CMT applicants to observe and process the team activity. Instructors will serve as evaluators during the activities for selection process.
- Selection Dates are Saturday, January 27, 2018 in Raleigh, or February 3, 2018 in Concord, NC. Time for both dates will be 1:00-4:00 pm. More information to follow. An online session will be scheduled for those unable to attend either selection day.
- Individuals applying to serve as an instructor will be individually contacted on an on-going basis upon receipt of application.
- All applicants will be notified of their status for the position by the end of February.
- Those who are offered a staff position for 2018 will need to notify us of acceptance for the position by the beginning of March.
- Staff Training: All staff should plan to attend training on Saturday, April 14, 2018 from 9:00 am-5:00 pm in Raleigh.There will also be another day of training the Saturday before your camp starts.