Chancellor’s Leadership Development Program
The Chancellor’s Leadership Development Program seeks to support incoming first-year students who are first-generation college students and/or are from rural counties within North Carolina. Students from all colleges within NC State University are accepted into the program. This two-year program helps students maximize their leadership skills through experiential learning and self-discovery.
For more information about the program, please contact Andrea Ramos-Lewis.
Each fall, 25-30 incoming, first-year students are selected to form a cohort of the Chancellor’s Leadership Development Program. The program requires attendance and participation on a weekly basis for a variety of opportunities, some of which are listed below. Students should expect to commit at least two hours per week to program components, some weeks it will be more.
- Weekly seminars (Wednesdays from 1:30-2:45pm) on a variety of topics including: academic success, personal transition as a first-generation college student, values-based leadership theory, self-advocacy as a college student, financial literacy, and more
- Weekend retreat off campus
- Monthly small group meetings with a faculty/staff mentor pair
- Monthly one-on-one coaching with a Shelton Leadership Center staff member
- Monthly one-on-one peer coaching with a sophomore or junior in the Chancellor’s Leadership Development Program
- Events with Chancellor and Mrs. Woodson at their NC State residence
- Shelton Leadership Center programs such as the Shelton Speaker Series and the Shelton Leadership Forum
Please view our 2019 year end booklet for more information about past program opportunities: CLDP Showcase Booklet 2019
Students in the sophomore year cohort have additional opportunities, including:
- Match with faculty or professional mentor in field of study or career field of interest
- Collaborative research project with faculty or professional mentor
- Domestic service trip exploring a social issue in depth
- Leadership roles within the Chancellor’s Leadership Development Program
- International study abroad trip with funding support from the Shelton Leadership Center OR financial support to participate in an internship, alternative break program, or other study abroad program through NC State
Meet the Students
Take a look at the current CLDP Students and their leadership portfolios.Meet Students
Learn more about the program mentors who have connected with CLDP students.Learn More
Advisory Committee MembersLearn more
Join our Program
Learn more about the CLDP application process and how to get involved.Apply Here