About the Shelton Leadership Center
The Shelton Leadership Center was founded in 2002 by General Hugh Shelton following his retirement as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. His desire to give back to his alma mater, North Carolina State University, prompted him to initiate a scholarship. Soon, his efforts grew to include educational programs, youth summer programs, and organizational development training focused on developing the next generation of values-based leaders.
The Shelton Leadership Center’s values-based leadership development programs now reach youth, college students, and professionals at NC State University and other higher education institutions, corporations, government entities, nonprofits, and youth development organizations. His values-based leadership approach is based on five values: honesty, integrity, diversity, compassion, and social responsibility.
To inspire, educate, and develop values-based leaders committed to personal integrity, professional ethics, and selfless service.
The Shelton Leadership Center’s vision is to positively impact values-based leadership behavior throughout the University, within the corporate and business community, and eventually across the nation and world. Exposing individuals to the value of disciplined, purposeful action in the multiple “playing fields” of life, and providing tools to accomplish this, is a key component of the Center’s programs, as are collaboration, cooperation, communication, and partnership.
The Center is committed to:
- Elevating the importance of lifelong leadership development, branding NC State University as the champion of leadership, ethics, and civic engagement
- Providing a platform for increasing leadership competencies through research-based, intentional leadership development
- Honoring role model leaders and providing inspiration for contemporary emerging leaders
- Collaborating and providing synergy for fund development activities and adding value to leadership experiences
- Generating endowment and program support, sustaining successful leadership programs, and encouraging innovation across NC State University
To commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Shelton Leadership Center, University Communications is publishing a collection of articles celebrating some of the Center’s programs.
Shelton Challenge Fosters Young Leaders
NC State Honors Gen. H. Hugh Shelton in True Pack Fashion
Shelton Leadership Center Teaches any Student How to Lead
Top Leaders Pass on Wisdom at Shelton Leadership Forum
Learn more about the man behind the Center’s vision
Meet our staff & distinguished professor
General’s Cabinet &
Meet our cabinet and board members